Berry-Coconut French Toast Casserole
This is a great recipe for holiday breakfast when you have a full house. You make the night before and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- 1 loaf day old french bread
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- Cut or rip bread into bite size pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine milk, eggs, sugar and coconut extract and pour over the bread pieces. Softly stir to make sure all pieces are soaked. Refrigerate overnight.
- .Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine ½ cup flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and softened butter. Mix well.
- Rinse and drain the berries. If using frozen, unfreeze and set out on paper towel to remove excess liquid.
Bundt Cake Pan Instructions
- Lightly oil bundt cake pan.
- Place ⅓ of the bread mixture into the cake pan. Sprinkle in half each the berries, shredded coconut and flour/sugar mixture. Repeat. top with the remaining bread.
- Bake casserole for 1 hour. Turn out cake upside down on a serving plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Iron Skillet Instructions
- Add the berries and shredded coconut to the bread mixture and carefully blend.
- Butter a 10 ½ inch iron skillet.
- Pour mixture into the iron skillet and then top with the flour/sugar mixture
- Bake for 1 hour and serve in the skillet.